HOAX: Kalamazoo Shooter Doesn’t Want $10 Million From Uber After All, Letter Is A Fake


A handwritten federal lawsuit, supposedly from the man accused in the Kalamazoo shooting spree that took place last month, has been declared a hoax by officials.

The suit, which arrived at the U.S. District Court in Detroit by mail on Tuesday, claimed that accused shooter Jason Brian Dalton was suing Uber for $10 million in back wages and overtime.

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel

According to the Kalamazoo County Undersheriff Pali Matyas though, the letter has been determined to be a hoax.

I was suspicious last night when I saw the envelope the lawsuit came in was postmarked Philadelphia. We investigated and Dalton did not send it, did not authorize it and does not know who sent it. Further it was not his handwriting and it is not a jail envelope.

The Kalamazoo County Sheriff’s Department was in contact with the FBI on Thursday to provide information to assist with a possible investigation into who is responsible for sending the letter.

The fake lawsuit was written by hand and states that Dalton is seeking “$10 million dollars in punitive damages and emotional distress.” Despite the fact that Uber drivers are responsible for setting their own schedules, the letter also claimed that Dalton was mistreated by the ride-sharing company, saying he would be called out late at night and Uber would “make me work or say I was fired.”

The Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety said Dalton told them that he went on the deadly shooting rampage because the “devil” in his Uber app had taken over his body. He also claimed to have no memory of the violent killing spree except for  hearing a  “pop, pop, pop of the gun” at one point.

Dalton told police he “recognized the Uber symbol as being that of the Eastern Star and a devil head popped up on his screen and when he pressed the button on the app, that is when all the problems started.” He further explained that the apparition was a “horned cow head or something like that and then it would give you an assignment and it would literally take over your whole body.”

Local news reports that Dalton is facing 16 criminal charges stemming from the massacre, including six counts of murder for the deaths of Tyler Smith, Rich Smith, Mary Jo Nye, Mary Lou Nye, Barbara Hawthorne and Judy Brown, and two counts of attempted murder for shooting and wounding Tiana Carruthers and 14-year-old Abigail Kopf.

Dalton is being mentally evaluated to determine if he is fit to stand trial.


Featured image via Fox 2

    Terms of Service

    Leave a Reply