Over the weekend, Texas Senator Ted Cruz sought to capitalize on Republican primary front-runner Donald Trump’s problems with women, specifically female Republican voters.
The senator was the only candidate who stopped at the National Federation of Republican Women’s annual conference in Phoenix, Arizona.
I’ve got to tell you, the women in here, this is a room of patriots,” Cruz told the crowd, according to the Washington Post. “This is a room of fighters. This is a room of women that stand up and win elections and are going to save this country.
Cruz is using a very smart strategy with one fatal flaw. While Trump is by far the most blatantly sexist candidate, to run for president in several decades, the billionaire is only theoretically dangerous for women.
Unlike Cruz, Trump has no record demonstrating how he’s taken real action against the interest of women. Here are just a few positions that Cruz takes on issues relevant to Women.
- He opposes paycheck fairness
- He opposes paid family leave
- He opposed reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act
- He opposes raising the minimum wage
- He opposes all reform to gun laws
- He supports criminalizing abortion
- He supports defunding (and prosecuting) Planned Parenthood
- He supports abolishing the Department of Education
Credit: Daily KOS.
Cruz also takes a position on issues like foreign policy, taxes, Obamacare, same-sex marriage, birth control and abortion that run counter to what most general election female voters believe.
Here’s a video on this story.