Republicans try election after election to pander to evangelical voters and, somehow, religious people actually buy into it. Maybe they believe because republicans are more willing to tell them whatever they want to hear, incurring the wrath of God be damned. It takes a special type of arrogance to really believe in God and then to use people’s faith in God for political purposes.
Here are 14 quotes from the Bible that Conservatives would love to pretend don’t exist because they certainly don’t follow or agree with them.
1. “Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.” [John 13:16 KJV]
We all know that there is nothing republicans love to do more than to judge other people. They judge LGBT people, they judge women, they judge the poor… generally, anyone they can tear down to make themselves seem bigger and more holy.
2. “And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?” [Luke 6:41 KJV]
Jesus Christ’s famous quote about hypocrisy is certainly one the GOP likes to ignore. Every time one of them talks about family values but then it turns out their son is punching is his girlfriend or talks about being pro-abstinence but turns out pregnant with someone who is not her husband I want to vomit. At least, have the courage to be honest with yourself and with others.
3. “Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.” [Matthew 5:9 KJV]
Every time I watch a republican debate regardless, of the election, I hear candidates talk about the wrath they will bestow onto any country or people for even looking at the United States in the wrong way. When the GOP is in charge, we become the world’s bully. Jesus demands peace, not the “full force and fury of the United States.”
4. “Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?” [Matthew 6:26]
The GOP loves sneering at those who need a little bit of extra assistance. The working poor spend time on the job but still make too little to survive on their wages. That’s why things like welfare, food stamps, Medicaid and other services are needed. But the GOP hates those programs and would love to see them cut. Jesus is saying here that we must all care for each other.
5. “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” [John 8:7 KJV]
This is probably the passage you think of most when you see republicans criticizing anyone. If it isn’t the hypocrites it is the “holier than thou” who thinks that somehow their poo don’t stink.
6. “Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.” [Matthew 9:35]
Think about it, we can’t even get the states with republican governors to expand Medicaid!
7. “And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers’ money, and overthrew the tables; And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father’s house an house of merchandise.”[John 2:14-16 KJV]
There is no bigger communist than Jesus Christ. He hated capitalism and the way Wall Street owns our leaders would disgust Him. That doesn’t stop the GOP from cozying up to big business and refusing to raise wages for working people.
8. “And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” [Matthew 19:24 KJV]
But that sure won’t stop the republicans from trying!
9. “Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” [Matthew 22:37-40 KJV]
The republican legislature in Oklahoma fought to keep a giant monument of the 10 Commandments on the Capitol lawn. I wish they would actually read the 10 Commandments and if they are people of faith perhaps they could try and live by them. If elected officials loved their neighbors like they loved themselves, suffice to say they would be a hell of a lot more sympathetic to the problems of everyday people.
10. “But Jesus said unto them, They need not depart; give ye them to eat.” [Matthew 14:16 KJV]
But the GOP wants to cut food stamps.
11. If there is a poor man among you, one of your brothers, in any of the towns of the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand to your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks. [Deut. 15:7]
Yet the GOP wants to call them moochers. Interesting.
12. But if someone who is supposed to be a Christian has money enough to live well, and sees a brother in need, and won’t help him–how can God’s love be within him? [1 John 3:17]
Imagine if Paul Ryan lived by this philosophy. The amazing things we could accomplish for those in need would be breathtaking.
13. He who is generous will be blessed, for he gives some of his food to the poor. [Prov. 22:9]
Two years ago, House Republicans proposed an agricultural budget that severely cut school lunch programs for children.
14. Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries which are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments have become moth-eaten. …Behold, the pay of the laborers who mowed your fields, and with you have withheld, cries out against you; and the outcry of the harvesters has reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth. You have lived luxuriously on the earth and led a life of wanton pleasure; you have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter. [James 5:1-6]
Jeez, we can’t even get republicans to raise the minimum wage to a living wage.
I can’t help but think that if republicans were as Christian as they claim to be, that maybe we would have a better world. Maybe.
Feature image via Wikimedia commons.