Lately, Ronald Reagan is being held as a modern-day saint by the Republican establishment. Here are some truth bombs to prove they are wrong.
1. Reagan passed the largest tax increase in history in 1982. In 1986 he also became the first president to cut taxes on the super rich while raising taxes on the poor.
Modern Republicans HATE taxes. They think it is literally illegal to have taxes in America (hint: it is not). Reagan also raised taxes 7 out of his 8 years in office.
2. Everyone wants to complain about “tax and spend Liberals.” Reagan inherited a $930 billion debt. When he left office, the debt was $3 trillion. He borrowed more money than every president from George Washington to Jimmy Carter COMBINED.
Reagan was the ULTIMATE borrower and tax and spend president ever. Period. Even idiot George W. did not triple the debt during his presidency, although his dollar amount is higher.
3. Ronald Reagan created Osama Bin Laden. Reagan spent billions training Islamic fundamentalists in Afghanistan, to fight a proxy war against the Soviet Union. These people later became the Taliban.
Basically, Ronald Reagan was responsible for the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history and changing the world forever, in regards to modern terrorist states.
4. Reagan sold weapons to Iran illegally.
Everybody has heard of The Iran-Contra scandal. This is ignored history by Republicans. Ronald Reagan sold weapons illegally to IRAN (yes the same one every Republican wants to use nukes on, to prevent them from using nukes). He did it to fund an illegal war via the CIA in South America. The best part is when he said he knew in his heart he didn’t do it, but the evidence says otherwise.
5. In 1982 Reagan gave amnesty to three million illegal immigrants.
He personally signed the legislation. 3 million illegal immigrants were given full amnesty. Right now, even modest legislation that prevents deportation but does NOT give amnesty is grounds for impeachment. Somehow, its ok when a non-black Republican with dementia does it though.
Reagan was easily, by any objective academic standards, one of the worst U.S. presidents in the nation’s history. Historical fact aside, he was against literally every principal the modern Republican party/voter holds dear.
Next time someone says Ronald Reagan was the greatest president ever, show them this video:
Featured image via custom image by Christian Drake