Last week, I told you the whole story and backstory about the women the National Enquirer says Ted Cruz had an extramarital affair with. I also outlined Trump’s curious relationship with some of the owners and staff of the National Enquirer as well as the Marco Rubio supporters who spread the hashtag #TheThing, a reference to the affair story, on Twitter.
The Daily Beast reported that it was Rubio supporters that had the information and urged right-wing media to go with the story. But Rubio was already gone from the election when the Cruz story broke leaving only Donald Trump to be helped by the story. Either Rubio was embarrassingly far behind the news or it wasn’t him that had the story. I find it hard to believe Rubio would have dropped out if he knew this story was close to breaking. He could have told donors about the story and kept himself afloat for a few more weeks waiting for Cruz to drop out.
The Beast reported that when Breitbart.com was approached with the Cruz story it was from a Rubio ally. “We got it from a Rubio ally,” the source told The Beast. “It was too thin, so [Breitbart’s Washington political editor Matt Boyle] decided not to run it. There was no way to verify the claims.”
As you could see from the first story on this, many reporters explained they simply didn’t have enough to go on. The National Enquirer felt otherwise and they ran with it. Did The National Enquirer have enough because Donald Trump gave it to them, however? Were they the perfect outlet because they are used to paying sources for confirmation? No one knows, but the question is enough to consider other sources for the story.
The timing is suspect. If it was Rubio, surely he would have released it earlier to keep his candidacy alive. Perhaps, it was both of the candidates, however. If Rubio’s media pals couldn’t go with it, but the National Enquirer needed only some cash to be handed to some of the five women to confirm it. Who has the money capable of doing just that? Certainly not Rubio who can’t even spend his own money properly.
The latest news is that there might be a video of at least one of the affairs. Rick Wilson, who has been tweeting about #TheThing for several weeks now, tweeted that the person who has #TheThing should just upload it to YouTube and let reporters discover it. Leading us all to assume that #TheThing is a video of the two together.
The Daily Beast noticed this part too and asked Breitbart about it.
Breitbart News, the notoriously Trump-friendly conservative outlet, was also pitched the story of Cruz’s extramarital affairs, according to a source close to the publication. That source said an operative allied with Marco Rubio—but not associated with his official campaign—showed the publication a compilation video of Cruz and a woman other than his wife coming out of the Capitol Grille restaurant and a hotel on Tuesdays and Thursdays. But the outlet opted not to report on the video, which demonstrated no direct evidence of an affair.
Another plot point in this Cruz Sex Scandal saga goes back to the infamous DC Madam. As far back as February, the attorney for the DC Madam indicated that the little black book had information that would be “relevant” to the 2016 election. Many years ago when the case began to bubble up, it was revealed that the little black book contained a U.S. Senator. That leaves Cruz, Rubio or Bernie Sanders.
Senator Ted Cruz did the only thing he could do, he blamed Donald Trump for the story. Cruz took to Facebook with a post declaring his innocence:
This whole thing is shocking politicians, consultants and media because it is literally playing out on social media in an incredibly public way. Most political people in Washington still have to be convinced social media is worth the time and effort for campaigns and now look at what’s happening! Sunday’s morning talk shows gave Donald Trump the perfect opportunity to hit back against Cruz.
This Week was guest hosted by Jon Karl who allowed Trump to do (yet another) phone-in interview. He asked Trump if his campaign or anyone associated with the Trump campaign was in any way behind the Cruz affair story. Trump said no one had anything to do with it and he lashed out at Cruz for blaming him also saying, “I have no control over the National Enquirer.”
Karl went on to confront Trump asking if he would be willing to denounce the story. Trump said, “I don’t care, I mean, really, I don’t care… I have no idea whether it was right or not. They actually have a very good record of being right… I hope it’s not right.”
The interesting thing here is that Ted Cruz is not coming after the National Enquirer he’s coming after Donald Trump. One would think if these things were false a big lawyer like Ted Cruz would be the first to launch a lawsuit against the publication. Instead, he’s coming after Trump.
Featured image via Michael Vadon/Flickr