Liberals and progressives have taken a stand against the use of religion and holy books as political bludgeons for ages. Today, Americans are told by pseudo-Christians that we are doomed because we don’t use their interpretation of the Bible to govern the country. They blatantly ignore the Separation of Church and State by exhorting their followers to vote for certain people or in a specific way, something the First Amendment prohibits.
As we can see from these quotes, it’s a struggle that we liberals and progressives have been fighting for a long time. Thank goodness we have such minds on our side.
- People wrap themselves in their beliefs. And they do it in such a way that you can’t set them free. Not even the truth will set them free. ― Michael Specter
- By “Christian,” I don’t mean true Christians. I mean those right-wing politicized clergymen who profess Christian beliefs in order to gain wealth and political power by allying themselves with the GOP. — R. J. Eskow
- The obsession of the evangelical community over “values” is never centered on the true evils of the world: poverty, overpopulation, crime and cruelty, war and persecution, the ruination of the planet through environmental poisoning, and the indiscriminate rape of the world’s resources. — Earl Doherty
- The evangelical right doesn’t have a monopoly on “moral values,” nor do they have a monopoly on proper and rigorous biblical interpretation…. I’ll go so far as to say that these Bible-thumpers are just that people who thump on the Bible without bothering to open it up and wrestle with the prophetic tradition contained within. — Sean Gonsalves
- The extent to which the dominant factions of the Republican Party are hostile to our most basic constitutional traditions and defining political principles really cannot be overstated. They simply do not believe in them. — Glenn Greenwald
- The defining trait of the fanatic … is the utter refusal to allow anything as piddling as evidence to get in the way of an unshakable belief. — Arianna Huffington
- Fundamentalism really cannot help itself-it is absolutist and can compromise with nothing, not even democracy. — E. L. Doctorow
- Evangelicalism has taken the Extrovert Ideal to its logical extreme…If you don’t love Jesus out loud, then it must not be real love. It’s not enough to forge your own spiritual connection to the divine; it must be displayed publicly. ― Susan Cain
- You can safely assume you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ― Anne Lamott
- In every age it has been the tyrant, the oppressor and the exploiter who has wrapped himself in the cloak of patriotism, or religion, or both to deceive and overawe the People. ― Eugene V. Debs
- When we refer to ‘the biblical approach to economics’ or the ‘biblical response to politics’ or ‘biblical womanhood,’ we’re using the Bible as a weapon disguised as an adjective. ― Rachel Held Evans
- I bet you’ve seen the fundamentalist bumper sticker that says, “God said it! I believe it! That settles it!” It must be a typo because what the driver really means is, “I said it! God believes it! That settles it! ― Robert M. Price
This election is one of the most important — if not THE most important — in our lifetime. Make no mistake, if a Republican wins the White House, the religious right will take it as a sign from their God. They will waste no time in pushing their agenda. If Congress and the Supreme Court align with them, we are lost. The country for which the Founding Fathers fought will be no more. If you think I’m being hyperbolic, I urge you to read about Dominionism. Or watch this space for an article about it.
Featured Image via Pixabay