According to Article 1, Section 3 of the United States Constitution, the requirements to become a United States Senator include that the candidate must:
- be at least 30 years old.
- a United States citizen for at least nine years at the time of their election to the Senate.
- a resident and inhabitant of the state they are being elected to represent in the Senate.
According to an “authenticated timeline of known facts concerning the citizenship of Senator Ted Cruz” both of his parents were Canadian citizens at the time of his birth. The timeline reveals:
- In 1957 Rafael Cruz, Ted’s father, attended the University of Texas as a foreign student on a four-year student visa, obtained at the US Consulate in Havana.
- In 1962 when Rafael graduated and his student visa expired he obtained political asylum and was issued a green card, but remained a Cuban citizen.
- In 1969 Rafael Cruz married Eleanor Darragh Wilson. According to my research Eleanor claims to have been born in Delaware, but so far I’ve not been able to track down a birth certificate for Eleanor.
- On December 22, 1970 Ted was born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada to Rafael and Eleanor Cruz, both Canadian Citizens, which voided his prior American green card status.
- In 1974 the Cruz family moves to the United States.
- In 2005 Rafael Cruz renounces his Canadian Citizenship and becomes a United States Citizen.
- In August 2013 Ted releases his Canadian birth certificate.
He’s a Canadian,” said Toronto lawyer Stephen Green, past chairman of the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section.“Generally speaking, under the Citizenship Act of 1947, those born in Canada were automatically citizens at birth unless their parent was a foreign diplomat,” said ministry spokeswoman Julie Lafortune.
While Ted’s birth certificate shows that his mother was born in Delaware, there is no proof that is the case. Additionally, if she were born in Delaware and was originally a United States citizen, did she retain that citizenship in Canada?
In May 14, 2014, Ted Cruz received formal notification that the renunciation of his Canadian citizenship was official. But where is Eleanor’s birth certificate? I can say I was born in Delaware, but that doesn’t make it true.
If Ted Cruz’s mother was in fact born in Delaware, did she have dual citizenship when Ted was born in Canada?
Should Ted Cruz be stripped of his Senate seat? If so, he surely isn’t eligible to be in the White House.
WATCH Ted Cruz in Three Minutes from Time.com:
Featured image is a screen capture from the video above.