So You Thought The Republicans’ Benghazi Sideshow Was Over? Think Again (VIDEO)

After several years, multiple investigations and millions of dollars spent by the Republican Congress on issues surrounding Hillary Clinton, no charges have ever been brought against her and no accusations have been made to stick. By the time the report of the last Benghazi committee was issued, and FBI Director James Comey released the Bureau’s findings on Clinton’s email “scandal,” you might think Republicans would have been sufficiently embarrassed by their witch hunt and just quietly let it die. But this is the modern GOP we’re talking about, so of course that isn’t going to happen.

On Monday, the parents of Benghazi victims Sean Smith and Charles Woods filed a civil lawsuit against the former secretary of state for the wrongful death of their sons. And as a bonus, they managed to tie in Clinton’s email for good measure.

According to The New York Times, the suit alleges that Clinton’s “extreme carelessness in handling confidential and classified information” was a factor that contributed to the deaths of their sons. They also make the bizarre claim that somehow Clinton’s use of a private email server contributed to the loss of life in Benghazi. In addition, the suit alleges that Clinton intentionally lied in her public comments when she said that an anti-Islam video was the reason for the attack on the American diplomatic outpost.

There is no doubt that Patricia Smith and Charles Woods are still grieving over the loss of their sons — parents never quite completely recover from something like that. But there is also a heavy dose of politics involved in this move. Both Woods and Smith have been vocal critics of Clinton. Smith, a Trump supporter, spoke at last month’s Republican National Convention, where she told the crowd, “I blame Hillary Clinton personally for the death of my son.”

Smith’s opinion about the attack is considerably different than that of the family of Ambassador Chris Stevens. In June, Stevens’ sister called for Republicans to stop using her brother’s name in their anti-Clinton propaganda. The family of the fourth victim, Glen Doherty, accepted a death benefit payment from the CIA and apparently consider the matter closed. Only Woods and Smith seem to want to keep hitting Clinton over what happened.

Woods’ and Smith’s lawsuit was the topic of discussion on CNN”s New Day on Tuesday. Host Chris Cuomo heard from his guests Andre Bauer, the former GOP Lt. Governor of South Carolina, and former Democratic Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm, about the “high burden of proof” involved with this suit. Bauer declines to say whether he thinks the lawsuit is just a “political tool.” Granholm notes that Clinton has been cleared of wrongdoing by all of the various congressional committees that have been involved. While she doesn’t answer Cuomo’s question about politics directly, it is clear she thinks the suit is motivated by a desire to continue to attack the Democratic nominee.

Here is the conversation, via CNN:

Featured image via Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Terms of Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *