On Monday, United States Senator and firebrand progressive Claire McCaskill of Missouri announced the worst: she has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Making the announcement on her Tumblr page, the two-term senator relayed that her prognosis, while scary, was good:
I very recently learned that I have breast cancer. It was detected through a regular mammogram. It’s a little scary, but my prognosis is good and I expect a full recovery. I will be in St Louis for the next 3 weeks receiving treatment. During this time my staff will continue to assist Missourians and I will be posting on my Senate website (McCaskill.senate.gov) how I would have voted on any matters that come before the Senate during my absence—which I’ll also enter into the Congressional record. Additionally, I’ll be submitting questions in writing for any missed Senate hearings.
Thank you for the honor of serving you in the Senate.
McCaskill, so far, has offered no other details regarding her prognosis or treatment, but the women of Congress, like breast cancer survivors Rep. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and Senator Heidi Heitkemp, and other colleagues including Bob Menendez and Elizabeth Warren, offered their thoughts and encouragement:
@clairecmc From one survivor to another, I know you’ll beat this with the same fighting spirit you give to Missouri each and every day.
— D Wasserman Schultz (@DWStweets) February 22, 2016
From one breast cancer survivor to another soon-to-be survivor – you’re a fighter and I’m cheering for you all the way, @clairecmc
— Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (@SenatorHeitkamp) February 22, 2016
@clairecmc Thoughts are w/you for a speedy recovery. See you back in the Senate soon.
— Senator Bob Menendez (@SenatorMenendez) February 22, 2016
Wishing my very best for a speedy recovery to one of the Senate’s toughest fighters, @clairecmc. The whole Twitterverse is here for you!
— Elizabeth Warren (@SenWarren) February 22, 2016
Elizabeth Warren, as usual, is right: Claire McCaskill is one of the Senate’s toughest fighters. Whether it’s taking on the quackery of Dr. Oz and his “miracle” products or giving Wall Street bankers the lashing they deserve, McCaskill has been on the frontlines fighting the progressive cause that means so much to so many people.
These are just some examples as to why McCaskill needs to not only beat breast cancer, but come back to the Senate swinging harder than ever:
- When she literally told men to “Shut the hell up” when it comes to women’s issues (and Star Wars, pantsuits and carbs)
2. When she smacked down Dr. Oz for being a giant fraud[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkUe4bMS_8Y]
3. When she gave Republicans the lecture of a lifetime on how to govern, blasting them as “situational Constitutionalists”[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVis2W2zngM]
4. When she called Wall Street bankers “Idiots” and tried to limit their greedy salaries[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt90KUwCCoE]
5. When she defended President Obama from Republican racism[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXSbOSxPA_8]
6. When she stood up for the Black Lives Matter movement and stood firm against racism at Mizzou[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qenfWCaz0w4]
Senator McCaskill is a progressive hero. Her record speaks for itself, and there is no stone she won’t leave unturned. She is a lady who has fought the good fight on all fronts. Here’s to wishing her a speedy recovery, sending her good thoughts and her family strength. We need her back in the Senate ASAP!
Featured image via Wikipedia