It’s been so hard to keep track of all the stupid things Donald Trump has done that I’ve decided to start writing a weekly roundup. Apparently, I picked quite the week to start with:
1. Trump started the week by doubling down on his attacks on a Gold Star family because why just dig a hole when you can dig a Trump-sized hole instead? At one point, Trump’s campaign actually claimed that the family of a slain American soldier had ties to the Muslim Brotherhood. Super classy.
2. On Monday, Trump’s campaign begged Congressional Republicans to step up and attack the Khan family with him in a show of solidarity. No one joined Trump’s suicide pact. Apparently, attacking a Gold Star family is a really stupid idea. Who would have guessed?
3. Then an interview aired in which Trump literally did not remember that Russia had invaded and annexed part of Ukraine:
TRUMP: It’s— look, you know, I have my own ideas. He’s [Putin] not going into Ukraine, okay, just so you understand. He’s not gonna go into Ukraine, all right? You can mark it down. You can put it down. You can take it anywhere you want-
STEPHANOPOULOS: Well, he’s already there, isn’t he?
TRUMP: Okay— well, he’s there in a certain way…
Wow. Just…wow. This was after being challenged by Stephanopoulos about his campaign softening the anti-Russia language in the official party platform, something Trump claims to know nothing about. This means that either he’s lying to cover his allegiance to Putin or Trump has no idea what his campaign is doing.
4. On Tuesday (still just the beginning of the week!) Trump kicked a baby out of his rally for crying. Yes, this really did happen.
5. Next, a House Republican announced that he would be voting for Hillary Clinton because Trump is “profoundly offensive and narcissistic” and “unfit to serve our party and cannot lead this country.”
6. And just to make sure everyone knew what a sleaze he is, when a veteran gifted Trump his Purple Heart, he joked that he had “always wanted to get a Purple Heart, but this was much easier.” Har har har! Hilarious!
7. After that, MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough dropped the bombshell (excuse the expression) that several months ago, Trump repeatedly asked his foreign policy adviser why America can’t just toss nuclear weapons around like confetti. Because what better way to prove how strong America is than by starting World War III?
8. Trump also managed to piss off the entire Republican Party after refusing to endorse John McCain, Kelly Ayotte and Paul Ryan after both men had endorsed him weeks ago (Ayotte says she’ll vote for him but won’t endorse him). A few days later, after a lot of bad publicity, Trump changed his mind. But the damage has been done.
9. And finally, Trump went on a rampage about a “secret video” that he had seen that allegedly showed $400 million that the US owed Iran being taken off a plane in Tehran. The video was supposed to be a humiliation of some kind. But it turns out that Trump got confused while watching Fox News and the video in question was from January, happened in Switzerland and showed just-released Iranian prisoners getting off a plane.
After a few days of intense ridicule, Trump admitted he was wrong but, of course, refused to apologize.
One can safely assume this cavalcade of derp is the reason that Nate Silver has Trump’s chances of winning at about 25% as of this writing. But remember, beating Trump is not enough; he needs to be utterly crushed and the GOP with him. Fortunately, we can expect a lot more stupidity from Trump and I’ll be rounding it all up every week from now to the election!
Featured image by Joe Mahoney/Getty Images