It is of little surprise that Seth MacFarlane, producer of Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey has joined the growing realm of Bernie Sanders supporters. Hours before Tuesday evening’s debate, the Family Guy creator, comedian, singer and overall superstar tweeted his support for the Senator.
Yes, I know we Hollywood liberals can be self-righteous, insufferable meatheads, but come on– Bernie Sanders would make an A+ president.
— Seth MacFarlane (@SethMacFarlane) October 13, 2015
On Wednesday, MacFarlane took that support one step further by introducing Bernie Sanders at a campaign rally in Los Angeles. With some witty remarks, a bit of expected off-color humor, some right on the money sentiment regarding climate change followed up by a small lesson in history and democratic socialism – the Hollywood superstar voiced his support for the Senator from Vermont.
I want to tell you the moment, for me, that Bernie Sanders won last night’s debate. The question was asked, ‘What is the greatest national security threat to the United States?’ The other candidates gave answers like the crisis in the middle east, nuclear Iran, ISIS, cyber warfare, offensive tweets – all legitimate threats, to be sure. But Senator Sanders was the only person on that stage that gave the correct answer: climate change.
With friends like Neil deGrasse Tyson, it isn’t too shocking that climate change and science is what influenced MacFarlane to back Bernie.
Yet, what is slightly unexpected is the fact that a multi-millionaire like Seth MacFarlane is willing come out in support of a candidate that feels he should pay more taxes. It’s refreshing to see that he can admit there is a problem in our country with income inequality – that 1% of the population should not have wealth equal to the other 99 percent. While we have seen some of the wealthiest in our country speak out about income inequality, the vast majority are far more concerned with their own self-interest – their own greed – to do so.
So yes, mad props to this guy. My respect has just increased ten fold.
Watch Seth MacFarlane #FeelTheBern Here:
Featured image via video screen capture