As Bill Maher addressed on Friday night’s “Real Time,” Iowa voters really like the fact that Ben Carson doesn’t know anything. Perhaps because they can relate to it. There has been a lot of crazy coming out of Carson lately, although, perhaps it’s been coming out this whole time and now, because he’s the front-runner, we’re just starting to hear about it. Unclear, but the truth is there’s a whole lot of it. Here are the top 11 examples. As more become available, feel free to post them in the comments section!
11. “The current Members of Congress have a combined 8,700 years of political experience. Are we sure political experience is what we need. Every signer of the Declaration of Independence had no elected office experience.”
Carson posted something strange on his Facebook page this week that indicated he knows little to nothing about American history. Not exactly something that should instill confidence in the American voter.
10. “Let’s not all jump on the bandwagon of demonizing this guy [Ray Rice]. He obviously has some bad problems.” He later told Bill O’Reilly: “This is someone that he loves, and he pummeled her with enough force it could have killed her…”
Ben Carson thinks that domestic violence is an isolated incident and there’s not a DV crisis in America. You know things are bad when even Bill O’Reilly has to explain to Carson that domestic violence is actually a huge problem.
9. “When I went to take the test the next morning, it was like ‘The Twilight Zone,'” Carson said. “I opened that book and I recognized the first problem as one of the ones I dreamed about. And the next, and the next, and the next, and I aced the exam and got a good mark in chemistry. It worked out okay and I promised the Lord he would never have to do that for me again.”
It’s a little unsettling that a so-called world-famous neurosurgeon couldn’t pass his freshman chemistry class. But it’s a little more unsettling that he thinks God whispered the answers to him. Like, God wasn’t busy that morning with plague and famine and disease that he was like, “yeah I got this.” Is God also the one controlling Carson’s hand when he’s holding a scalpel? Because that goes a little beyond “Jesus take the wheel” for my taste.
8. “I said something about how the fashion industry makes young women think they’re supposed to be so skinny it looks like they escaped from Auschwitz, and a young Jewish woman came up to me and said, ‘You can’t talk about Auschwitz.’ … The fact of the matter is, I don’t mean to offend anybody. And if anybody’s offended—too bad.”
Knowing the line between being offensive and being a dick is a pretty important thing for a leader of the free world to have a grasp on. Neither should be accepted.
7. That time Carson joked that all of his adult patients were criminals and frauds and operating on “old geezers” is a waste of time. This is why we should dismantle Medicare, Carson believes.
There’s something profoundly disturbing about a doctor who thinks all of his patients are a waste of space. The reason most people become doctors or nurses is because they want to help people. They want to heal the sick. Carson seems to want to simply talk shit about them and be famous.
6. “Not only would I probably not cooperate with him, I would not just stand there and let him shoot me. I would say, ‘Hey guys, everybody attack him. He may shoot me, but he can’t get us all.'”
Really? Do you want to blame the people who died? Not very presidential.
5. “If people don’t speak up for what they believe, then other people will change things without them having a voice. Hitler changed things there and nobody protested. Nobody provided any opposition to him.”
“I’m not going to go into that. I think that example is pretty clear,” Carson said when asked if he think’s Barack Obama is Hilter.
Hitler is coming, apparently. I would argue that there are a lot of right-wing domestic terrorists who are talking about the purification of races. Ted Cruz had a hard time ducking a question about Pastor Kevin Swanson who believes we should kill the gays. That’s something Hitler wanted to do. Cruz spent some time with meeting and greeting with the gay-hating pastor at a religious liberty confab. Advocating genocide is a great indicator of Hitlerism, but he wants to say it is the President that’s more like Hitler?
4. “We need to face the fact that when young girls have babies out-of-wedlock, most of the time their education ends with that first baby. And those babies are four times as likely to grow up in poverty, end up in the penal system or the welfare system. You know, I’m not making this stuff up. That’s well-documented. That’s a problem.”
Really? Children of single parents get on welfare and then become criminals? Do you have numbers on that, Carson? Let’s compare percentages for rich vs. poor on crime. I’m neither a criminal nor am I on welfare despite my mom being single after my parents’ divorce.
3.”You know Obamacare is really I think the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery. And it is in a way, it is slavery in a way, because it is making all of us subservient to the government, and it was never about health care. It was about control.”
Look, I get going to the doctor sucks. I hate going to doctors. Blood, fluids, needles, there’s nothing pleasant in a doctor’s office. But it isn’t slavery. Slaves weren’t subservient to the government, they “worked” for very little on private corporations to build bigger and bigger profits. If Carson didn’t have such a problem with American history maybe he would understand.
2. Carson called the Veterans Affairs scandal a “gift from God.”
“It demonstrates to us very easily, without a lot of subterfuge, what happens when you place layers and layers of bureaucrats between patients and between the health care providers. It gives it —it makes it crystal clear what’s going to happen. That’s why it’s a gift from god, to be able to show that to people,” he went on to clarify.
It is great that both parties are working to fix the problems in the VA, but the VA itself is the gift. Caring for veterans, people like my grandfather who gets care at the VA, is one of the most important things our country has. If you think the VA is a bad thing, the country would riot if it was taken away.
1. The mounting lies.
It turns out Carson never got a scholarship to West Point. Further, he lied about meeting General Westmoreland who confirmed he wasn’t anywhere near Carson on that day and instead had a tennis game at 6:45 EST. No one can find the kid “Bob” that Carson said he tried to stab. When he’s pushed on these questions he loses his mind and demands to know why people aren’t asking these questions to President Barack Obama. Probably because he’s not running for President. He already had to do this stuff.
Conservatives meeting spent the end of this week and this weekend saying that Carson is done. There’s no way he can win when he can’t be honest about himself or his life. He can’t handle the scrutiny and he’s become a joke. Which makes him perfect to represent the modern Republican Party.