There are a lot of reasons to believe Donald Trump and those he surrounds himself with, including his family, are dumb, but what they did on June 9, 2016, may really take the cake.
By now, you’ve probably heard about the meeting Donald Trump Jr. had with a Kremlin-connected lawyer to try and obtain damaging information concerning the Hillary Clinton campaign. The meeting was allegedly set up by a British music publicist, Rob Goldstone.
- June 7: The 2016 primary season essentially concludes, with both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton as the presumptive party nominees
- June 9: Donald Trump Jr. — along with Jared Kushner and former campaign chair Paul Manafort — meets with Kremlin-connected lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya.
- June 9: Trump tweets about Clinton’s missing 33,000 emails
- July 18: Washington Post reports, on the first day of the GOP convention, that the Trump campaign changed the Republican platform to ensure that it didn’t call for giving weapons to Ukraine to fight Russian and rebel forces
- July 21: GOP convention concludes with Trump giving his speech accepting the Republican nomination
- July 22: WikiLeaks releases stolen emails from the Democratic National Committee
- July 25: Democratic convention begins
- July 27: In final news conference of his 2016 campaign, Trump asks Russia: “If you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing”
- August 4: Obama CIA Director John Brennan confronts his Russian counterpart about Russia’s interference. “[I] told him if you go down this road, it’s going to have serious consequences, not only for the bilateral relationship, but for our ability to work with Russia on any issue, because it is an assault on our democracy,” Brennan said on “Meet the Press” yesterday.
- October 4: WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange says his organization will publish emails related to the 2016 campaign
- October 7: Department of Homeland Security and the Director of National Intelligence release a statement directly saying that Russia is interfering in the 2016 election
- October 7: WikiLeaks begins releasing Clinton Campaign Chair John Podesta’s emails
- October 31: “This WikiLeaks is like a treasure trove,” Trump says on the campaign trail
- November 4: “Boy, I love reading those WikiLeaks,” Trump says from Ohio.
Pretty clear as day, right? But wait, there’s more!
Rob Goldstone, the man who allegedly, but pretty certainly set up the meeting between the Trump campaign and the Russian lawyer, CHECKED INTO FACEBOOK ON THE DAY OF THE MEETING AT TRUMP TOWER.
What’s even sadder yet enlightening? He wrote:
“Preparing for meeting.”
Wow: On June 9 2016 Rob Goldstone checked in to Trump Tower on FB for a mtg w Trump team & Russian lawyer. “Preparing for meeting” he wrote. pic.twitter.com/TAmXjfLvqf
— Christina Wilkie (@christinawilkie) July 11, 2017
Who the hell is that dumb to do something like that? He’s literally helping a presidential candidate commit treason against his own nation to influence an election with alleged opposition research from a foreign adversary.
Meanwhile, Donald Trump Jr. is trying to play all of this off as if it’s no big deal:
Media & Dems are extremely invested in the Russia story. If this nonsense meeting is all they have after a yr, I understand the desperation!
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) July 11, 2017
It would probably be in his best interest to just stop talking because everything he says and does can and likely will be used against him in a court of law.
The upcoming weeks and months are going to be very interesting.
Featured Photo by Getty Images