Okay, I’m just going to say it: “Men’s rights” activists might be involved in the dumbest movement ever created.
Whenever a controlling entity claims “persecution” it’s because the privilege they feel entitled to is finally being called into question. In the case of the Christian right, for example, even though an overwhelming majority of Americans identify as Christian, their religion is still being “persecuted” if any other religion, or lack thereof, asks for equal protection under the law.
The myth of “white genocide” works the same way. Just because black people would like to be less likely to be shot and killed by police doesn’t mean the risk to white people will go up, it simply means an understanding of 150 years of the socioeconomic isolation of an entire race and the systemic racism caused by it is far overdue.
“Men’s rights” are just as ridiculous. It is proven that men in this country have historically had advantages when it comes to employment and wages, privilege, education and basic human rights. Women have had to fight for equality for a couple of centuries, a fight that is still far from over. For men to claim that, because women seek the same opportunity as men, it somehow infringes on their rights to feel superior is ludicrous.
This list, as funny as it is, is also extremely sad, because it reflects such an incredibly large portion of male society, particularly right-wing conservative males. Hopefully someday we can all look back and have a laugh at the small amount of ignoramuses it pertains to.
11 signs you’re a “men’s rights activist”:
11. You have no problem with the gender wage gap, but you hate having to pay for dates.
10. You insist that it’s a scientifically proven fact that men are stronger than women, but you complain about society believing that it’s worse for a man to hit a woman than for a woman to hit a man.
9. You believe that the age of consent is unfair and that there’s nothing wrong with having sex with teenage girls, but when you find out that a teenage girl enjoys sex, you believe she’s the biggest slut in the world.
8. You hate when a woman automatically assumes that a man is a douchebag before getting to know him, but when you like a woman who likes another man, you assume he’s a douchebag just because he’s not you.
7. You believe that if women want equality, they should be drafted into the military, but you also believe that the military is not a place for women.
6. You hate when women assume that men are like wild animals, but you believe that a woman who doesn’t cover up and make herself invisible to men is just like someone wearing a meat suit around wild animals.
5. You hate the fact that men are bullied for not conforming to their male gender roles, but when you find out that a man disagrees with your beliefs about women’s rights, your immediate response is to try to emasculate him by comparing him to a woman as an insult.
4. You hate when women assume that there are no nice guys, but you call yourself a nice guy and act like it’s a rare quality that should cause women to be all over you.
3. You hate when women assume that men just want to get laid, but when you find out that a man is a feminist, you assume that he’s just doing it to get laid.
2. You hate when women make generalizations about all men, but when a woman calls you out for being sexist, you claim that all men think like you.
And the number one sign…
1. You insist that women should be responsible for protecting themselves from being raped. But when they follow the one piece of advice that actually works, which is being aware of red flags, you complain about them assuming that all men are rapists.
Yeah, that about says it all, doesn’t it? Far too many good ol’ boys and frat brothers belong to that club, so we will keep pushing, keep educating and keep demanding they shut the hell up and listen, because we real men don’t need them sullying our existence in the name of some bogus campaign for a return to the 1950’s.